Invisible Shoes - Barefoot Running Sandals

Friday, November 21, 2008

It can't hurt to try something once, right?

Post-run recovery today was an experience. We had the usual relaxation in Rehovot, hobbling around, having drinks at Aroma, and shooting the breeze on the way back.

But when I got home, I decided to follow some advice the podiatrist had given me recently. I recently had orthotics made. When I was chatting with him, he told me that for the recovery after a long run I should get 2 or 3 bags of ice, and take an ice bath after the run. Sit in the ice for about 10 minutes or so, and then take the shower.

He said that would get rid of any swelling, any ankle or knee soreness, and in general make the recovery quicker, as the ice gets the blood flowing and helps the muscles recover quicker.

I decided I would try it. It can't hurt to try something once, and maybe it would even work!

Let me tell you, it hurts. Sinking into that pile of ice in the bathtub is extrenely painful. My feet froze over very quickly and hurt a lot. I thought I would lose a couple of toes to frostbite!

Eventually I adjusted, and instead of giving up I kind of got used to it, a bit, and it became only slightly beyond bearable.

But I must say - I sat in the ice for 10 minutes, and I was just as sore coming out as I was when I went in. Maybe the overall recovery is quicker, but it was definitely not immediate!

I don't know if I will be trying that again!

2 comments:

Coachhrd said...

Take a look at my most recent post at http://coachhrd.blogspot.com. The woman I've profiled SWEARS about the benefits of ice baths in marathon training.

Rafi G. said...

thanks coach - that sounds crazy, running 50 marathons in 50 days, and even 2 in 2 days! I am working hard to get 1 marathon in, and am so sore after each long run (though less each time) I can't even imagine being able to run 2 in 2 days!

I think I might try it again, next time trying ice cold water, rather than just sitting in a pile of ice.... it could be it did not help me because I was too anti because of how cold it was...