Invisible Shoes - Barefoot Running Sandals

Monday, November 7, 2016

getting back to running

It has been about 3 weeks since my last run. Even that run was during a tailspin of lack of running, so I probably hadn't run much in the days before that run either..

the reason for this drought was the Chicago Cubs playing in the playoffs and World Series. I was waking up at 2 or 3am for each game. On the days with no game, I was making up a tiny bit of the sleep I was lacking from the other days. And I did not have enough energy to run at night.

So, now that the World Series is behind us, and I've made up some of my missing sleep over the past few days since the last game, I can get back to running now.

This morning I woke up early to go out for my run. I almost went back to bed claiming to be too tired, but forced myself out. I'm happy I did.

I decided to start slow and go for a short run. I am not worried about fitness or having lost my ability - the amount of time I was not running is minimal, and fitness loss is negligible. However, to avoid injuries, I did not want to start with a 10km at full speed. You have to move back into it slowly.

So, I went out and ran 4km at decent speed. Tomorrow or Wednesday I'll go out for another run, and by next week I'll be back to my full distance and get back to building up again, both distance and speed.

No comments: