Invisible Shoes - Barefoot Running Sandals

Sunday, November 16, 2008

No longer a novice!

Tonight was a recovery run from Friday's Long Run. Blah blah blah. Nothing exciting there. Recovery runs are boring already.

So I have two milestones to announce - (drumroll please)...
  1. This week we are finishing the Lactate Threshold and Endurance phase of our training. I have no idea what that means, but it sounds like a milestone. Lactate sounds like Lactose, which I know has to do with milk, but I doubt there is any such connection, as I have not been drinking any unusual quantities of milk recently... But whatever it means, it sounds like a milestone, as we are getting cloaser and closer to being ready fro the marathon
  2. This one is a bit more exciting... This past week Chaim, a.k.a. Coach, sent out an email with details of the weeks running schedule. In it, he made a very significant change... instead of the usual variety - a schedule for advanced runners, a schedule for novice runners, and a schedule for half-marathoners, he sent a schedule for marathoners and for half-marathoners, and said there are no more novice runners and advanced runners. We are now all marathoners. I emailed him and mentioned that I am not yet even close to being able to follow the advanced runners schedule, and he responded that I am no longer a novice runner (I fall somewhere in between novice and advanced right now), so I should follow the advanced schedule but cut it down some (and we decide each time how to cut it down appropriately..).
So, by doing nothing more than just running (i.e. I did not take any tests or anything like that), I have graduated from novice status!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would guess that the "Lactate" phase has something to do with the substance produced by the muscles after a certain amount of exertion/fatigue...or something like that. I haven't taken biology in a while, so I can't give you a good answer.

Rafi G. said...

thanks, though I was not looking for an explanation. I could look it up on google, or ask Coach or a number of others in the running club...
It just sounded like a milestone even though I had no idea we were doing anything different or what it means (and the science of it all sounds in my head like blah blah blah)