Invisible Shoes - Barefoot Running Sandals

Thursday, June 14, 2018

slow recovery 5

I now remember why I stopped playing basketball (and baseball/softball, but especially basketball) about 8 years ago shortly after I started running marathons.

My son wanted to play basketball last night and I decided to go shoot around with him and play some one on one. It was a lot of fun, but I am so sore and my joints (knees and ankles, plus Achilles) hurt so much. I remember that back then it prevented me form being able to run, especially long runs, in addition to the risk of injury being significantly increased.

Regardless, I played and this morning I was extremely sore. I still felt it important to go for a run, to help my muscles recover. A recovery run of sorts, from basketball rather than from a previous run.

I knew it would be painful, and I knew it would be slow, but I was determined to try. At worst I wouldn't be able to run even my 5km minimum, but I figured chances are I would, albeit slowly.

And I made it. My first couple of kilometers were even at a decent pace, but in the middle of the third I slowed down significantly. My overall pace was just slightly slower than average, though my last two and a half km were significantly slower.

I am happy I got the run in and hopefully it will help me with tomorrow's run, though I expect my hope for breaking 18 tomorrow has been dashed and I'll have to probably make do with a medium length run.


No comments: