Invisible Shoes - Barefoot Running Sandals

Friday, October 20, 2017

38km to Rehovot

The group run to Rehovot was scheduled for 34km. I used to love this run, but the past 2 years I have not done it at all.

Back in the day, when I was training for my first marathon, I would get up early and my supportive wife would drive me to a starting point at 4am or whenever, so I could get the distance I needed. Now I don't trouble her any longer with that and if I cannot take the car for whatever reason I just start from my house even if it means I will be running a longer distance than necessary, or find a ride (rare nowadays) or run a different route and not with the group.

The group starting in Bet Shemesh was scheduled for 34km, but because I was running from RBS I was going to get 38km. That is a big jump from my longest run so far of 33km a couple of weeks ago, but I felt I could do it.

Out I went at a bit before 4:30am, timed to finish as closely as possible with the main group at the grassy entrance of the Weizzman Institute in Rehovot before getting a drink at Aroma and then cabs back home.

The new highway, which was lit up, is a vast improvement over running along the old highway. Once on the Highway 44 though it went back to being pitch black at that hour of the morning.night.

At one point I got clipped by a biker. He had no lights on his bike, was wearing a black outfit, and no lights on the road meant my neon shirt and reflective strips weren't helpful at all. I saw him coming at me at the last second and tried to jump out of the way and screamed from being startled and not realizing what it was. We banged shoulders or something. I was ok and I tried to look back and he seemed to be fine, continuing to ride. One of the other runners later told me they saw him as well and nearly crashed into him.

I carried a small water bottle with me, and all was good. I ran through all the stops, occasionally stopping for a pit stop, walking through a water break, but until Mazkeret Batya water stop, about 30km in for me, I basically had just kept running,.

After Mazkeret Batya it was difficult to get started again. Muscles tighten up and it was tough. When I entered Rehovot I was already at 34km and considered taking a bus to the final destination as I already had the scheduled distance. But, I looked around and did not see the other runners at all so I figured I had time and just kept going.  I hit the Weizzman grass and collapsed into it at 38km after a great run.

Runkeeper messed up the time tracking, but it got the distance right. So my actual stats are meaningless (even though I imported them into Endomondo). I dont know why this happened, and it is not the first time. I'll have to keep an eye on that.

My legs are very sore right now

This week closes with 80km on the week. I haven't run this amount in years, if ever.

1 comment:

Tzvi said...

can you hear me singing: kol hakavod....