Invisible Shoes - Barefoot Running Sandals

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

The Mid-Week Medium Long Run In Bikila

The most elusive of runs, for me, has been the Wednesday medium-long run. I don't think I have managed to run the 16 or 18 kilometer mid-week run more than a couple of times this whole marathon training season. It is a horribly difficult time to run. It is an individual run, it is a work day, and it is too long to just go out and squeeze in a quick run. On the other hand, it is a far more important run than the way I treat it.

Today I finally got out to run. I scheduled it with a running partner. He is normally faster than me, but he has not been training due to a recent injury, so he is now running a bit slower than his normal pace. His slow pace is my fast pace, but it means we can run together. Bad for V, good for me.

Out we go at 5 AM. We decided to run from Tzomet Ha'Elah up to the 383 (2km), up the 383 another 6km, and then back, totaling 16km. The first 2km was pretty cold, but as soon as we turned up the 383 it warmed up right away. When we got back to Highway 38, 12 km later, it was freezing cold again. The last kilometer was a bit of a struggle for me. I felt everything stiffening up from the cold. We finished the run with a 5:49km/m average pace.

Today I wore my Vibram FiveFinger Bikila shoes, and I always get a better run in them than in my other shoes.

The run was a great run, and today I conquered the elusive mid-week medium long run..

1 comment:

vofstein said...

looking forward to doing it again!
V