Invisible Shoes - Barefoot Running Sandals

Friday, October 2, 2020

good 11

Went out planning to run 10km, depending on how I'd feel on the run. I felt good. I started out across Kishon as always, and then instead of running across the bridge and up the park I just ran straight up Hayarqon . I decided I was going to run out on the 10, which I have not done in a long time. I both wanted to and I was also curios to check out the roadblocks that are supposed to be there for the lockdown, and to see if the would stop me, but the non-running aspect was secondary.

So up and out I go, no roadblocks no nothing. I ran out. The road is under construction so thee were some hazardous spots, but all was good. I ran out on the 10 to the 375 and turned at the end and ran back. I hit 11 only because of the distances or where I chose to run, not because I decided to keep going or anything dramatic like that, but I felt pretty good throughout.

One of my problems is that often I look down when I run - just to a short distance in front of my feet. I do that often when I walk, but when I run it is also to protect myself from tripping over obstacles, even though I know I would see them even if I looked a bit up and spread my view over a greater distance. It also indicates bad form, so it is something I try to work on, but I often just find myself doing it naturally for long periods of time before I remember to lift my head a bit and straighten my back.

Well, today it was a problem. Besides for just generally doing it, I was running through a portion of road construction, uphill, so I was more watching my foot placement so I wouldnt hurt myself. Sure enough, instead of twisting my ankle on rocks or upended sidewalk tiles, I smashed my head into a low hanging street advertising sign. I have always noticed the  sign on my way out as I run under it and always thought it comes awfully close, but when you see it you adjust your gait and are careful to run under it. On the way back in, running uphill through construction, I just didn't see it at all. I ran right into it, smashing the top portion of my head, with my hat slightly dulling the impact. It knocked me dead in my tracks as I fell and my glasses flew off my face from the sweat and inertia. I stumbled a bit to pick them up and get up and noticed a car stopping up ahead to make sure I was alright. I checked myself and saw everything seemed ok and kept going and the driver was in the meantime turning around and coming back to check on me. I told him I was ok as I started running again, and headed back home. 

I guess it will swell up a bit and hurt more a little later, but I think it is ok. Besides for that it was a really good 11km run, albeit it, slow as always




No comments: