Invisible Shoes - Barefoot Running Sandals

Thursday, February 22, 2018

short run brings me back

I think I am back, but there is a long road ahead of me..

Recovery has taken far longer than it should have, but hopefully I will now be running again regularly.
My injury turned out to be a strained or inflamed Iliapsoas (a muscle in the hip flexor). After a few rounds of treatments with anti-inflammatory pills, the doctor finally gave me the go ahead to start running and exercising again (even though it is not yet 100% better), but he said not to go full out fast right away, but t to take it slow. I chuckled because even my full out running fast is pretty much taking it slow.

Today was the day to get back out there. I planned to do a short and slow run just to see how it feels. I went outside to discover that it had rained and was still misty and drizzling. I thought about going back in, figuring I dont want to slip or even just run in the rain, especially for a meaningless 3km run that is just to see how I feel. I can do it tomorrow.

Then I decided I am out already and, as Nike says, just do it.

So I did.

I ran 3.4km across Kishon at a very slow pace, and I had to stop a couple of times, but I did it. It is amazing how after just a few months of not running I suddenly feel so weak that even a slow 3km was difficult, but I also know that after a few runs like this my fitness will return quickly.

My leg felt fine. No pain. Hopefully I'll go out tomorrow for another short run.